Falling in love is a natural process, blending our emotions with physical and chemical responses. But sustaining a caring relationship requires more than having warm caring feelings. Important components of a partnership include mutual respect, affection, a sense of goodwill, emotional safety, persistence, humor, honesty, and motivation. Additionally, it’s important for couples skillful at communicating, problem-solving, and resolving differences. Unfortunately, these attitudes and skills do not come automatically with being in a committed relationship.
I can help you understand what assets and liabilities you bring to a relationship, how your relationship developed, and how to create a sustainable and satisfying relationship.
In therapy, I’ll help you to:
- Understand the variables of the selection process, including your assets and liabilities
- Examine your realistic and unrealistic expectations
- Recognize the elements of a power struggle when you discover your differences
- Develop effective communication
- Learn to simultaneously respect yourself and your partner while discussing differences
- Effectively resolve differences as they arise; and modify the resolution when necessary
- Avoid criticism, contempt, defensiveness, belligerence and/or withdrawal
- Create a healing environment as you experience increased joy and passion within the relationship
- Deepen intimacy and increase your sexual enjoyment
You’ll learn the pitfalls of unrealistically believing: "If you love me, you'll accept me as I am. You'll change to be exactly who I want you to be." You will rather come to appreciate that compassionate lovers believe, "If I love you, I'm committed to respecting both you and me, as we strive to create a rich and satisfying life together."
I look forward to helping you clarify your issues, make healthier decisions, improve your relationships, and take positive actions to create a happy and satisfying life.
Call me for a free 20-minute consultation at 770-952-3308